Borrowing from the YCBA's Collection
The Yale Center for British Art has implemented a loan moratorium for the calendar year 2024. Due to a major project to renovate the roof and skylights, update the lighting system, and fully reinstall the collection, the YCBA is unable to accommodate requests to borrow works from the collections during this period. Existing loan commitments will be honored.
We are happy to accept formal loan requests for the year 2025 and beyond. Please see below for guidelines.
The Yale Center for British Art lends objects from its collection to other institutions in furtherance of its mission to serve a national and international audience; support scholarship and appreciation of British art; and the university’s broader mission to create, preserve, and disseminate knowledge. Borrowers should be tax-exempt institutions open to the public. Under exceptional circumstances, loans to commercial galleries or governmental locations may be considered. All loans are subject to the approval of the Director and the Loans Committee.
Requests must be received at least twelve months in advance of the exhibition opening date.
A formal written request should be sent to the attention of:
Courtney J. Martin, Paul Mellon Director
Yale Center for British Art
PO Box 208280
New Haven, CT 06520-8280
The request should include the following information:
- Title of exhibition and dates at each venue
- Full information of requested objects: artist, title, medium, dimensions, accession number (available through our online collection)
- Overall description of the exhibition and how the requested works would add value to the exhibition
- Current Facility Report (in English) for each venue (American Alliance of Museums or international equivalent preferred)
Borrowers will receive a letter of notification from the Director's Office. If the loan is approved, it will be followed by a Loan Agreement from the Registrar that details loan requirements, specifications, and associated fees.
Borrowers will be charged a loan fee on a per-object basis:
- One to five objects: $250 per object
- Every object over the first five will incur an additional $100 charge per object
Borrowers will also bear all standard costs relating to the loan, including but not limited to packing, crating, transportation, courier accompaniment, and insurance.
Questions? Please contact the Registrar’s Office: email@example.com.