Reference Library and Photograph Archives
The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment only during the 2021 summer term. Please use this form to schedule your visit. Reservations can be made in one-hour segments from Tuesday to Friday, 10 am–3 pm. The Reference Library is also providing scan and deliver services to Yale students, faculty, and staff. Learn more here.
The Reference Library collections are open to Yale researchers of all types who are welcome to browse over 40,000 titles and over 120 current periodicals devoted to British art, artists, and culture from the fifteenth century to the present.
The collections include all of the essential reference works on British artists and also contain resources on British architecture, print and book culture, performing arts, costume, town and county histories, and travel books. The Reference Library maintains a growing and vital collection of art conservation and technical analysis materials as well.
The Photograph Archives, located within the Reference Library, is a study collection of almost 150,000 photographic reproductions of British works of art from the sixteenth to the early twentieth century. The archives represents both public and private collections worldwide with a particular focus on collections in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
The Reference Library’s holdings, exclusive of the Photograph Archives, can be searched online either independently or in conjunction with the Center’s art and rare books collections, as well as through Orbis, Yale Library’s online catalogue.
The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment only during the 2021 summer term. Please use the form below to schedule your visit. Reservations can be made in one-hour segments from Tuesday to Friday, 10 am–3 pm.
The Reference Library is also providing scan and deliver services to Yale students, faculty, and staff. Learn more here.
To access the Reference Library, visitors must
- Schedule an appointment using this form at least 24 hours in advance. *Please note that a Yale CAS login is required and appointments are scheduled in one-hour segments. If more than one hour is needed, reserve back-to-back sessions (there is no reservation limit).
- Contact email@example.com to request collection materials at least one business day before a scheduled visit.
At present only Yale ID holders will be permitted to use the Center’s Reference Library. In compliance with health and safety guidelines for reducing occupancy, we are unable to extend access to other patron groups until further notice. This policy is mandated by Yale University and the Center as part of the on-campus response to COVID-19.
To use the Reference Library, visitors must follow these onsite rules:
- Bring your Yale ID and check in at the front entrance.
- Fully vaccinated students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral/postgraduate trainees who have submitted their vaccination documentation to the university are no longer required to wear a mask in this space.
- All others are required to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth.
- Complete your daily health check before arriving (fully vaccinated patrons do not have to complete the daily health check).
- Use only the designated seat assigned to you.
- Consume no food or drink.
- Disinfect your seating area. Hand sanitizer will be provided as well as other cleaning supplies.
The Center’s Reference Library staff will provide responses to questions about artists and objects in the museum’s collections as well as about British artists. Please be as specific as possible with your request.