Reference Library and Photograph Archives
The Reference Library is currently open to Yale faculty, students, and staff who have been approved to be on campus, as well as non-Yale researchers who have been fully vaccinated and boosted, when eligible.
Yale visitors, please use this form to schedule your visit. Non-Yale visitors, please email email@example.com to schedule your visit.
The Reference Library collections are open to researchers of all types who are welcome to browse over 40,000 titles and over 120 current periodicals devoted to British art, artists, and culture from the fifteenth century to the present.
The collections include all of the essential reference works on British artists and also contain resources on British architecture, print and book culture, performing arts, costume, town and county histories, and travel books. The Reference Library maintains a growing and vital collection of art conservation and technical analysis materials as well.
The Photograph Archives, located within the Reference Library, is a study collection of almost 150,000 photographic reproductions of British works of art from the sixteenth to the early twentieth century. The archives represents both public and private collections worldwide with a particular focus on collections in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
The Reference Library’s holdings, exclusive of the Photograph Archives, can be searched online either independently or in conjunction with the Center’s art and rare books collections, as well as through Orbis, Yale Library’s online catalogue.
Hours and registration
The Reference Library is open only to Yale faculty, students, and staff who have been approved to be on campus as well as non-Yale researchers who have been fully vaccinated and boosted and who have not traveled outside the United States within the past fifteen days.
All non-Yale visitors must register their vaccination status with the University one week prior to their arrival. For detailed instructions, please refer to the Guide to Using Special Collections at Yale. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your visit. Reservations can be made in one-hour segments during open hours.
Starting on Wednesday, August 30, the Reference Library will be open from Tuesday through Friday, 10 am–4 pm.
Beginning September 3, the Reference Library will also be open on weekends until the end of the semester: Saturday 10 am–4pm, Sunday 12 pm–4 pm.
To access the Reference Library, Yale visitors must
- Schedule an appointment using this form at least 24 hours in advance. *Please note that a Yale CAS login is required and appointments are scheduled in one-hour segments. If more than one hour is needed, reserve back-to-back sessions (there is no reservation limit).
To access the Reference Library, non-Yale visitors must
- Create an account using our online system, Aeon.
- Register vaccination status with University prior to arrival. Select the long-term visitor option and enter email@example.com as the host email. Please allow up to one week for your vaccination status to be verified.
- Have a confirmed seat reservation at least 24 hours in advance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your visit.
To use the Reference Library, visitors must follow these onsite rules:
- Bring your Yale ID or photo ID and check in at the museum's Information Desk.
- Consume no food or drink.
The Reference Library staff will provide responses to questions about artists and objects in the museum’s collections as well as about British artists. Please be as specific as possible with your request.