The Center strives to make its data and data services (including but not limited to XML feeds and Linked Data Services) openly available in order to promote the discovery of, access to, and broad use of its resources. As far as the Center is concerned, its data and data services may be used freely by anyone without seeking explicit permission of the Center. However, in order to ensure the availability and usefulness of the Center’s data and data services, the following conditions apply:
- Openness: We encourage free and open use and reuse of the Center’s data. Therefore, you may not distribute or sublicense the Center’s data under more restrictive terms than those set forth here. For reuse or distribution, include a link to these terms.
- Attribution: Acknowledge the Yale Center for British Art by including the statement “Data Source: Yale Center for British Art” and linking to the Center’s Collections Data Sharing technology information page as illustrated. When using linked data, the URI for the object being referenced (example linked) should be provided. However, you may NOT imply that the Center and/or Yale University endorse you or your use of the Center’s data and data services in any way.
- Transparency and Courtesy: Be clear about who you are and how your services will interact with our data services. Where you are using a non-browser user agent, your User-Agent header should include details of your software application and your contact details including an e-mail address and URL. Where you make, use, or distribute software that makes requests of the Center’s services, you should ensure that your software will not perform excessive requests.
- Updates: You are responsible for checking regularly for updates to our data and data services, ensuring that your applications continue to function appropriately with our data services, and using the most up-to-date data provided.
- Legal: It is your responsibility to ensure that your use is compliant with legal requirements in any applicable jurisdiction(s).
Users further acknowledge the following:
- Digital Resources: Data and data services may include links to digital resources, including image files. The availability of a link to a digital resource does not imply or convey permission to download, distribute, or use the link or image file. (However, digital resources of works in the public domain with no other known restrictions, as identified in the data, may be used freely. See Using Images for more information.)
- Excessive Use: The Center reserves the right to limit or block any user or client for excessive use. The definition of excessive includes, but is not limited to, any use that may have a detrimental effect on the service, whether intentional or non-intentional, and is entirely at the Center’s discretion.
- Availability: The Center reserves the right to revise these Terms at any time, as well as to modify or terminate any products, services, software, applications, or features on the site at any time and without notice.
THE DATA AND DATA SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE YALE CENTER FOR BRITISH ART IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS, AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND CAUSED BY ITS USE.